Oliver is a full time accredited mediator who works nationwide. He trained as a solicitor at Allen and Overy LLP, London before joining Wrigleys, Leeds where he was a partner in the private client team.
Oliver is a first-class communicator and is quick to build trust. He has specialist training in the psychology of conflict enabling parties to find workable solutions to a wide range of emotive and contentious disputes. His background in private client law gives him the ability to help parties with their most personal and private affairs within the complex framework of trust, tax, company and property law. Oliver maintains that no matter how complicated and entrenched the problem, it is nearly always possible for participants to achieve a mediated solution.
Oliver has a special interest in pre-conflict resolution for families with intergenerational succession and inheritance issues. He helps families to create plans for the future of their businesses, farms and landed estates before conflict and costs escalate.
Oliver brings a breadth of experience to mediation:
Private and family businesses
• Contract and shareholder disputes
• Succession issues - helping owners of multi-generational family businesses, farms and landed estates to agree long term succession plans to protect family assets and private company shareholdings.
• Structural and strategic issues - restructuring mixed businesses, landed estates, companies and partnerships to maximise tax reliefs, working with all parties, businesses and stakeholders to achieve consensus on the vision for the future.
Probate and inheritance
• Breakdown in relations - helping families to resolve tensions after bereavement and agree the structure of family assets for the next generation.
• Procedural issues - administering a wide variety of deceased estates made up of a complex mix of high value assets throughout the UK and overseas.
• Resolving agricultural, land and property related issues including neighbour, landlord and tenant, private water supplies, easements, covenants, public rights of way, planning and overage issues.
Trusts and tax
• Trustees and beneficiaries – trustee and beneficiary rights and duties and helping trustees maintain constructive dialogue with disgruntled beneficiaries.
• Taxation - negotiating claims for business and agricultural property relief, gifts out of excess income and issues of domicile and residence with HMRC.
• Attorneys and Deputies – helping quarrelling attorneys to agree ways to carry out their duties.
Accredited Mediator – Regent's School of Psychology and Psychotherapy, London
ARCH Mediation, Harrogate Community Mediation Course
Trust and Estate Practitioner Diploma (TEP) - The Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
STEP Advanced Certificate in Family Business Advising (Distinction)
Named as one of Private Client Practitioner's Top 35 Under 35 for 2013. This shortlist aims to recognise and promote the rising stars within the private client professions, which include lawyers, accountants and trustees.
Publications and Seminars
Published in the journal of the Probate Section of the Law Society, spoken inter alia to the Regional Branch of the Chartered Institute of Taxation, the Society of Later Life Advisors and the Personal Finance Society.